Tuesday 7 June 2022

Local Patch Birding

This year 5km from home has become 10km from home adding some new sites for me such as Whitlingham Country Park, Thorpe Marshes and Hosford Woods. That's all good but on the down side it had been agreed that nocmig records should only count for half a point. My total last year was 129 species and I estimated a possible 140 for 2022 but as we near the halfway mark of the year I'm only on 105 and its not looking like I'll hit 140.

However, it's not about the numbers it's about the enjoyment and that certainly hasn't dipped. I've added several species to my local list that I hadn't previously recorded. Bittern, Goosander, Smew, Shag, Glossy Ibis, Nightjar and Firecrest were all new. 

Goosander, UEA Broad, January 2022

Smew, Taverham, Norwich, February 2022

Smew, Taverham, Norwich, February 2022

 
Glossy Ibis, West Earlham Marsh, Norwich, April

European Nightjar, May 2022

Whilst I missed out on any nocmig recordings of Ring Ouzel, I did manage this female bird on West Earlham Marsh during the Easter weekend.

The dictionary definition of 'record shot' - female Ring Ouzel, West Earlham, Norwich

My previous blog entry of Nocmig Update will give you a better flavour for what I recorded flying over the garden so far but Hawfinch, Spotted Flycatcher, Lesser Whitethroat and Spotted Crake were the highlights. 

Notable absences so far include Coal Tit and Grey Wagtail but I expect with a little effort I'll pick these up before the year is out. A dry spring has meant I've not done well on waders, Common Sandpiper, Whimbrel and Curlew are all missing so far but still possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment