Sunday 14 April 2013

Blue magic at Horsey Gap

I guess this will go down a 'red-letter' day, or better still 'red-flanked' day!

I already had the first two Swallows of the year at Holkam on Friday along with more Swallows, Sand and House Martins, the first Chiffers and a singing Willow Warbler at Strumpshaw Fen yesterday evening.
The east or north Norfolk coast would definitely be worth a look so I headed up and away before 9 o'clock this morning.
I'm still learning where each place is. I thought of going to Holme but it's an hour and a half from Norwich so I decided to go over towards Winterton and Horsey. I knew Horsey Gap from visiting it with Nick Watmough on Easter Monday so I was confident I could find my way back there. Based on recent reports a Common Redstart, Black Redstart or Ring Ouzel could be possible, I'd settle for any of them.
I pulled into the car park at Horsey Gap and was a little surprised to see no signs of any other birders. I expected places like this to be well covered.
I could hear a Willow Warbler in song over towards the south side of the carpark so decided to check there first. Apart from the Willow Warbler, I had a singing Chiffer and about four Swallows. I went about half a mile before deciding to go back and check the path that runs to north of the car park. I followed that for about one hundred meters before noticing a stand of trees with gorze just in off the path. They looked interesting, so I broke away from the path and headed towards them.
As I came around the side of the first few trees a small bird caught my eye but immediately dropped out of sight. I relocated it quickly and thought....'here we go female Common Redstart, that'll do!'. However once I got the bins onto it I could see very striking orange flanks, it was shouting Red-flanked Bluetail to me but I still couldn't believe that it was. Then it turned its back to me, flashed its blue tail and took off deeper into the trees. I suppressed a shout of delight and turned back to get my camera.
I had a mobile number for Birdguides so texted the news in before calling Nick Watmough to ask him if he could put it out also (even though I'm here a few months I still haven't set myself up on Rare Bird Alert etc.). I gave Nick details of the location before settling down to try for a few shots. For about an hour it was just me and the bird, shots were tricky but I did manage some.


Red-flanked Bluetail, Horsey gap, Norfolk - 14th April 2013
Plus a short movie clip as well.
 
Movie clip of Red-flanked Bluetail


Other birders arrived in due course and by the time I left a small sized twitch was underway (large by Irish standards but small enough for Norfolk I imagine).
Nick and I headed to Winterton to look for Black Redstarts (no joy) but did catch nice views of two roosting Long-eared Owls.

Roosting Long-eared Owl, Winterton, Norfolk - 14th April 2013
By now tiredness was kicking in and nothing was going to top the Bluetail. I packed up and headed for home.
After a crappy Autumn in 2012 and a very long winter, finding my own Red-flanked Bluetail in my first spring in Norfolk is a very good consolation.

16 comments:

  1. An excellent find, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James! I see there was a Nightingale at Whitlingham today! Was that your?

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately not, I was at work today, but did manage to get down there afterwards and get some good views of it singing away in the evening sunshine.

      Delete
    3. Hi James, I wonder would you mind giving me directions to the bird. My email is grahamclarke2@gmail.com. Might pop out there tomorrow evening, only seen them in Mallorca. Very rare bird in Ireland.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant find. Bet you are a happy man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice wan G-dawg! Way to put yourself on the map! A leinster triumph over Munster and a self found bluetail. You must be rat arsed at this point! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Owen, the only way I could top this weekend off is if I got the Leinster job when Schmidt leaves. Until then!

      Delete
    2. Throw your hat in the ring so! Cos you are totes on form. ;)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pic! Beautiful bird! Very proud of you, hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much Mr Clarke for finding it, belting little bird and top photos. I doff my cap, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your fabulous find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny, pity it doesn't seem to have stayed around though.

      Delete
  7. Way to go Graham, hope this is the first of many. Cracking shots there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Floss, the image stabiliser was working against my shaking hand.

      Delete