Saturday 19 September 2020

A quick round-up

Its continued to be a busy period of time since I saw the RB Shrike at Waxham. I've been recording nocturnal flight calls most nights and while its often quiet, there's still enough going on to keep me interested. In the last few weeks I've recorded Dunlin, Common Snipe, Green Sandpiper and a juvenile Sandwich Tern passing within the vicinity of the house. It helps that I splashed out on a parabola and microphone that connects to the Olympus LS-P4 that I was already using. 'Shout-out' (as they say) to Dodotronic who I bought the gear off. The results so far have been outstanding and it should come into its own in the coming weeks. 

Here's the Sandwich Tern recording as an example.

 

Last Sunday I drove the short distance down towards Diss and picked up the Pectoral Sandpiper at Dickleburgh Moor NR. I'd not previously heard of the spot but it looks nice. The Pec Sand shared company with three Spotted Redshanks, a Ruff and several Green Sandpipers. A Great White Egret has also been seen there since and a Little Stint today. 

I'm working from home these days and a quick run to the local bakery for my lunchtime sandwich last Monday turned out to be very fortuitous as I picked up a flock of 9 Common Cranes moving westwards on my way back. A quick sprint home and I managed to see them with bins from the back garden before they disappeared from view - an unexpected and very welcome garden tick.

Mid-week the winds swung around to the east. I rolled the dice and decided to take Friday afternoon off and walk Blakeney Point. I'm not as flexible as some birders can be and can't just hit the coast when the conditions suddenly look good. So, I gambled all on Friday afternoon and a trduge down BP. It was hard work as usual, no surprise there but the returns were meagre enough. 1 Redstart, 1 Pied Flycatcher, 2 Spotted Flycatchers and ~10 Wheatears. A juvenile dark phase Arctic Skua on the way back was probably bird of the day for me. Nice to be out and nice to bump into Sacha Barbato and Rob Holmes but I had higher expectations for passerine migrants.



                        Spotted Flycatcher, The Plantation, Blakeney Point, Norfolk - 18th September 2020

 


                            Pied Flycatcher, The Plantation, Blakeney Point, Norfolk - 18th September 2020

 

                               Juvenile Dark Phase Arctic Skua - Blakeney Point, Norfolk - 18th September 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment