Saturday 4 April 2015

Easter Saturday stroll

Started the day off early with a very nice walk around Eaton Common. The morning was overcast and damp but a brief spell of sunshine brought some birds out. I reckon there's at least five Chiffchaffs now singing in various spots around Eaton Common / Marston Marshes, however for the moment that's it for summer visitors. The winds turn southerly late next week and across next weekend, so expect to see a few arrivals then!
A male Reed Bunting was calling from Hawthorns along the track from the level crossing to Keswick Mill. At the mill itself a Kingfisher sat still on low branch, it took flight just as the sun began to shine, flashing its vivid cobalt blue plumage as it sped off downstream. Meanwhile a pair a Grey Wagtails chased each other around below the bridge.
I returned back along the path to the level crossing, just as I was thinking to myself that I hadn't heard a Cetti's Warbler there for a while, that familiar scolding verse blasted out. I didn't see the bird (as usual) but good to know there is one still around.
As I crossed the railway track a fox watched me warily from several hundred feet away before exiting stage left. From the path on the opposite side of the track leading to Marston Marshes I had three Bullfinches (two males and a female). I called it a day at that and headed home for coffee.



No comments:

Post a Comment