Wednesday 17 January 2024

Cyprus 2023 - the finale!

Our last full day started with a trip to the Asprokremmos Dam and Reservoir, it was evident that there had been a clearout of migrants and apart from two Alpine Swifts it was completely dead. Even Cape Greco on the east of the island was much quieter than the past week had been if the WhatsApp group was anything to go by.

Alpine Swifts

The best bet was to head inland to Troodos and look for mountain species such as Treecreeper, Coal Tit and Jay (all endemic subspecies). First of all though we choose to stop off at the Scops Owl hotel and see if access to the gardens might be possible later that evening. There didn't seem to be anyone at hotel reception so I called out 'hello' loudly a few times and someone came out from around the back. Now bear in mind that neither Nick or I knew for sure if this was the right hotel and I didn't expect the staff to know anything about any Scops Owl. All I could do was show them a photo or illustration of a Scops Owl and hope. So, I whipped out the Collins Guide App on my phone, showed them the Scops Owl plate and played the call and they knew exactly what I was looking for (I guess the bins around my neck and generally dusty looking appearance were a dead giveaway too). They happily pointed to the trees in the garden and said that the bird is there most evenings! Result. In return for being so nice we ordered a couple of coffees from the bar and were served up with possibly THE strongest and THE sweetest cup of coffee I have ever had!


You could trot a mouse across that coffee!!

 

We returned briefly to the Asprokremmos Dam to search in vain for a Red-backed Shrike before setting off towards Troodos. We enjoyed a really pleasant afternoon here, it was windy but the temperature was cooler. I found an obliging Masked Shrike and spent some time in its company whilst it hunted for beetles.


Masked Shrike

Masked Shrike

I love shrikes and Masked Shrike is my personal favourite. 

We walked the paths through the pines and enjoyed nice views of a Cyprus Wheatear singing from the top of a conifer.


Cyprus Wheatear

Our primary target here was Dorothy's Treecreeper which we picked up on call first.

Dorothy's Treecreeper

I was personally quite taken by the local race of Coal Tit which looks a lot more like a potential species split than the local race of Treecreeper.

After Troodos we drove back to Agia Varvara (via to our hotel to get some fleeces for our Owling later on). The sun was dipping now and we watched a lovely mixed flock of White and Yellow Wagtails in the warm evening light. 

Blue-headed Wagtail

One of the eastern races of Western Yellow Wagtail (or an intergrade) - hard for me to tell!

We had a large mixed flock of hirundines that we had fun trying to pick out the Red-rumped Swallows in - there were several.

Our final stop was back to the Vasilias Georgias Hotel for the Cyprus Scops Owl. Cyprus Scops Owl is not considered a full species but certainly worth seeing and hearing. A wedding was in full swing when we got to the hotel after dark but we manged perched and flight views of the bird and I recorded it singing albeit with wedding chatter in the background.


 

 

And that was that! Our final bird of the trip before we headed back to our hotel for dinner and bed. 

Almost a year later what are my thoughts on Cyprus birding? Excellent, I would highly recommend it, I loved the fact that spring passage gets going in mid to late March, when I left the UK on 31st March it felt like we were still in winter's grip. A day later we were enjoying the sights and sounds of migration. The infrastructure is good, there's a good birding scene on the island, its easy to drive around and the food is great (I love a nice Greek Salad with my grilled lamb chops). I had 12 lifers and 4 subspecies ticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment