Friday 22 November 2019

Kuwait - Part 7

Our penultimate day started with a drive northwards from Kuwait City to Budai Farm, Al Jahrah, to search for Afgan Babbler. We managed to find several birds and enjoyed decent views but I was more interested in the fact that we were only 5 kilometers or so from the Iraqi border.

From there we drove back to the Liyah Reserve and drove along some tracks checking the Acacias for migrants - of which there were quite a few. By now there were some female Common Redstarts starting to move through, also male and female White-throated Robins, Common and Lesser Whitethroats, Rufous Scrub Robin and a single Hume's Whitethroat that was sadly carrying an injured wing. With hunters in the area this was no doubt a result of gun-shot.

Hume's Whitethroat - sadly carrying a injured wing


White-throated Robin - Liyah Reserve, Kuwait

White-throated Robin - Liyah Reserve, Kuwait.




After a quick stop for lunch I walked around the Acacias on foot myself. I had several more Redstarts, Blackcaps and a Spotted Flycatcher. Sadly though I wasn't alone and this individual in his SUV was driving around the Acacias taking pot-shots at the birds with his rifle. He had a little bag that was no doubt filled with dead Redstarts, Blackcaps and whatever else. What he does with these at the end of the day is anyone's guess but possibly they just get tossed in the bin. It's a hard thing to see and a completely pointless and callous pursuit - a sad and pitiful man!

'Hunter' climbing out of his SUV to pick up whatever he'd just blasted out of the nearby Acacia!
 
The one and only Spot Fly of the trip - mercifully dodging the gun-shots!
We completed the day at
Mutla'a ranch where we had Masked Shrike, Turkestan Shrike, Namaqua Dove and Roller. However  I manged to lose track of time and of my fellow birders and got locked behind a gate - I needed Nick and Paul to assist with my exit.

 

That evening back in Kuwait City I decided after 7 days of city and desert birding that I needed a bit of a clean-up and went for the full Kuwaiti shaving experience.









 
*Much to my delight Common Redstarts were far and away the commonest migrant of the trip as it happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment