Saturday 25 August 2018

Frampton comes alive

Winds are a bit westerly so no fall of Scandanavian drift migrants this bank holiday weekend. However, a Stilt Sandpiper across the Wash at RSPB Frampton Marsh was more than tempting, so I decided to brave the bank holiday traffic and go twitching.
I should have left early but I'd put in a long week at work and so choose to give myself a lie-in instead.
Unfortunately though, as well as the heavy traffic on the 'orrible A47 and A17 stretch, I also had to contend with harsh, direct light hampering my photography efforts.
Still, despite all that I was very taken by this fine wader. I had never seen one before, anywhere! Despite south-west Ireland being pretty good for American shorebirds, I think the last record there was in 2003 and overall in Ireland I think there are only 14 records (or thereabouts). In UK I think around 35 - so a pretty rare bird all in all.

Stilt Sandpiper, Frampton Marsh, Lincolnshire - 25th August 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment