Sunday 15 October 2017

October week - part 2



I started Tuesday morning with a pre-breakfast walk along the beach at Trimingham, the wind had picked up and there was no sign of any migrants. After breakfast I headed for Happisburgh where the Yellow-browed Warbler was still present in the same spot. Otherwise it was as dead as a door-nail. With better light I decided to head back to Kelling and try for better shots of the Red-necked Phalarope. However on the way I picked up news of an Olive-backed Pipit at Wells Wood – a much desired lifer. I met the finder James Lowen at the car park in Wells and got directions for the drinking pool. I was feeling optimistic as I walked the track but after two hours searching the area I had to come away empty handed. Still, a great find by James. I didn’t bother looking for reported Radde’s Warbler either and instead decided to head back to Trimingham stopping off at Kelling along the way. I have to admit that at this stage I was ready to throw the towel in on the entire week. The winds were all wrong, what few birds were around I had dipped on and the forecast was looking grim for the rest of the week. Kelling saved the day though, the Phalarope was around still and had company in the form of two smart looking juvenile Curlew Sands and two equally tidy looking Spotted Redshanks. 



Juvenile Red-necked Phalarope

One of two juvenile Curlew Sands

One of two Spotted Redshanks
 
That night at the Trimingham bird obs I could hear the wind picking up. By morning it was blowing a gale and I decided to take a break for the day and catch up on some stuff at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment