Tuesday 18 April 2017

Easter Birding

14th April has been a good day for me in the past. Red-flanked Bluetail in 2013 and a Cape Clear first in 2008 (Great Spotted Woodpecker). But I wasn't expecting a 'Good' Friday this 14th April. Cold northerly winds didn't dampen my enthusiasm but they did temper my expectations. Still, I would choose hunting for migrants on the coast instead of grafting over a hot laptop any day.
I birded Happisburgh from 8am but had only Chiffchaffs there. Horsey / Waxham was a bit better - two White Wagtails at Waxham Sands, a singing Whitethroat near the pipe dump and six Ring Ouzels in the field near the pipe dump also.
Sunday I popped over to Drayton to see two further Ring Ouzels, a male and a female in a horse paddock off Marriott's Way. A very nice local find by Joseph Nichols.


Ring Ouzels, Drayton, Norwich - 16th April 2017
Monday the weather was a little better. I've been watching and waiting to see if any Nightingales will return to my local spot at West Earlham / Bowthorpe - none so far but a spot I visited in previous years near Lakenheath, Suffolk already had two in song. In previous years I've done quite well photographing them (see 2016 and 2015). Yesterday was harder though.  I'm guessing the birds are just in and being midday weren't that vocal, plus it was cold and a little windy.
One showed briefly on the deck - a little too distant unfortunately.

Nightingale - Lakenheath, Suffolk

This bird - or another sang very briefly right out in the open.



However, "Bird of the Day" - if not "Bird of the Weekend" revealed itself when I was back at the car having my sambos. A singing Corn Bunting! Sadly very scarce now so really a welcome surprise.

Corn Bunting, Lakenheath, Suffolk

No comments:

Post a Comment