Sunday 8 September 2013

All quiet on the eastern front

This morning I took off about 7am, hoping to connect with the Woodchat Shrike reported on Saturday from Horsey Gap. However, after a clear and still night, I wasn't holding out too much hope. I met a couple of birders at the car park and they told me what I already expected.........no sign of the bird. I walked the paths both north and south of the car park but the best I had were a few Phylloscs, a Green Woodpecker, several Whinchat and a few Wheatears - none of which showed well enough for a pic.
From Horsey I went to Winterton dunes and it was pretty much the same there, Common Whitethroats, a few Blackcaps, two fly-over Yellow Wagtails and a Med Gull. No sign of any Whinchats though, despite reports.
On the way home I stopped at Great Yarmouth cemetery, not because I was expecting any migrants there (not if the previous spots were anything to go by), but because (i) it was on my way home and (ii) I just wanted to check the place out so when the next set of easterlies arrive, I know where it is, where to park and what to look for maybe. Apart from plenty of Grey Squirrels and Magpies, it was pretty dead (boom, boom!). Does look good though for, and I'm guessing here a little, Yellow-browed, Pallas's, Firecrest, RB Fly and even Red-flanked Bluetail.

No comments:

Post a Comment